(Article reposted from Adur and Worthing Council)
Members of the public are being urged to enjoy open spaces safely this Easter after a disposable barbecue led to a fire destroying an Adur & Worthing Councils vehicle.
Rubbish was being collected at Goring Greensward in Worthing today (1st April 2021) after many residents spent the day yesterday enjoying the warm weather on the common.
The disposable barbecue, which had not been extinguished or cooled down properly before being left by a bin, caught fire while it was on the truck.
Firefighters were called to put out the blaze but they were unable to stop it destroying the vehicle. It will now cost the Council nearly £30,000 to replace.
As the Easter weekend approaches the authority is putting out a reminder to those who use disposable barbecues to do so responsibly and dispose of them correctly.
Photo: The Adur & Worthing Councils litter truck that has been completely destroyed by fire caused by a disposable barbecue